Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Touring and "Evolution"

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 16 Sep 96 16:13:23 EDT
Subject: Re: Touring and "Evolution"
To: rcreighton@smtpinet.aspensys.com, love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

--- "Rick Creighton" wrote:
Saying that an artist's music had "evolved" past the point of permitting live
performance is a cop-out. Most likely, KaTe is tired of the BS involved with
touring, she is getting a little too old for the road, and she doesn't want to
give up the safety, security, and comfort of her studio...

Would you, if you had thousands of fans as rabid as us hounding you?
--- end of quoted material ---
There are plenty of touring artists that have "rabid" fans.  That has never
stopped
them before.

Kate isn't too old,  she's only 38.  and how can she be tired with the BS
involved
touring?  she hasn't toured in 17 years.   I think your last sentence  is
probably
the real reason (at least, public reason): she would rather play (or is it
work?) in
the safety and comfort of her studio.

I was watching the Lovehounds Collection video tape "B".  There's an excerpt of
an interview in which Kate kinda answers the question about touring (and
waiting
4 years for an album) by saying that we (the fans) are all "completely
mad"...and
then she starts to laugh...a kind of laugh that someone would break into when
they
don't know quite what to say...as if she was caught red handed in the cookie
jar....
Kate is obviously bothered, vexed and/or embarrassed by the situation.

The only conclusion I can come to is that Kate just doesn't want to tour and in
fact, doesn't really care about her fans...even though the fans wait 4 years
for a new album.
Why else would she be embarrassed by the fact that her fans asking her to tour
or
waiting for her next release for X number of years.    Kate writes music and
makes
records because she has nothing else to do....not necessarily because she wants
be in this field of work.

OK, I'm done with this thread.   Kate doesn't want to tour, pity that.

All we can do is wait a couple more years for her next offering...

This past week has openned my eyes to something I was perhaps trying to deny
myself
  - the fact that I'm slowly getting tired of Kate...tired of waiting and
hoping.  :-(

How do I un-sub from this, anyways?

Oh well,  there's always Loreena McKennitt.  She's original, explores new
musical
territories of her own AND she tours.  She certainly deserves the attention.

Back to deep lurking mode for me....I'm done.  good luck Lovehounds......

peace

ron