Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Live vs. Memorex (R)

From: pdCampbell@goodyear.com (pDaleCampbell)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:44:26 GMT
Subject: Re: Live vs. Memorex (R)
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Press <Delete> now...

After having the weekend to mull things over, a few last (I hope) comments
from me:

On Sat, 14 Sep 1996 09:00:11 -0700 (PDT), Love-Hounds-Digest #293 contained:

Fiona said:
> From: MCQUARRF@ucfv.bc.ca
> ...I really think her music could benefit from being played
> live and getting some feedback from the world - as could she.
I'm not convinced her music would gain anything by it.

> I was
> really sad reading the quote from the British radio show that was posted some
> time ago - the host (Don Black) had arranged for Kate to go see Cats,
> I think it was?, and it was the first musical she had been to in a very
> long time. That scares me.
I thank God that Kate doesn't get her inspiration from Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Although she could probably pull something worthwhile out of even THAT. :)

> It's difficult for an artist to create when
> they are cut off from what the rest of the world is doing.
"Not touring" does not equal "cut off", by any means.

> And Kate has procued
> some truly wonderful music when influenced by other artists (e.g. reggae
> for Kite, or a Stevie Wonder concert for Sat In Your Lap).
Said influence has continued to her latest compositions.  Look at the guest
artists on _TRS_. "Why Should I..." was Prince-influenced (for better or
worse), "You're the One" is Procol Harem ("Whiter Shade of Pale"--she even
quotes it), etc.

> I just want her to rejoin the world again.
A second coming?  I didn't even know she left. :)

> From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
   [...snip...]
> [Dale Campbell]
> > Do you want your stories told to you live, by a "storyteller"?
> I always loved it when someone reads to me.  So do my kids.
> Seems normal.
The only people making a living at it nowadays are pop psychologists,
motivational speakers and "channelers".  Well, then there's talk show hosts...

> > Do you want your songs sung to you live, by a performer?
> YESS!  Particularly if the performer is Kate Bush.  You bet!
> > That's the way it USED to be done, before recording
> > technology.
> That's the way it's still done by most who can.  It's great fun.
> Try it.  You'll like it.
I was recently 'duped' into believing smart people don't need smiley faces to
understand humorous intent.  Here, I *WOULD* have used one to indicate
exaggeration.  I apologize for omitting the laugh-track.

> >To me, it's a sign of a true artist to record albums and not tour, while it's
> >a sign of an Old Fart to tour and not record albums.  Is the essence of that
> >statement clear?
>
> Sure.  You own a CD player and can't play a lick.
I've seen lyres, but never a lick...is that like a Chapman Stick?

Actually, it means touring is neither necessary nor sufficient to indicate
artistic ability.

> [Andrew Marvick (IED)]
  [snip]
> > Kate Bush uses the studio as her instrument, and she plays that instrument
> > with vastly more eloquence -- and emotional expressivity --  than *anyone*
> > uses the stage (not to mention the studio).
>
> She's good.  Take Del out of the process and we might get a different
> result.
> As to the stage, different medium altogether and very different rules
> apply.
*H*E*R*E* WE GO!  Thanks, Len; it's nice to see you agree with with.
We are talking about two different media here.  Just because you are good at
one doesn't mean you'll be good at the other.  Of course, in Kate's case we
know that she is perfect at both. :)

> It's one reason I want to see her live.  Different experience.  Might
> even
> be better than the studio.  Whatever, it would be kate live and that is
> worth any number of flat notes.

Len, I have really painted myself into a corner with you.  I can't blame you
for wanting to see her live--we ALL do!  And if you go on posting jabs at her
for not touring, I'll go on reading them and it won't kill me (it won't even
hurt, much :).

The only reason I said anything at all, from the very start, was actually Ron
Girardin's comment:
> an artist can only truly demonstrate their art through performance
I believe that unqualified statement is simply wrong.  Now, if Kate were a
"performance artist"...

In Digest #295, Len continues...
> This in incredible.   I don't understand why soooo many people can't or won't
> see the beauty of a true live performance.
Well, I can see the beauty of a true live performance, with an artist that's
capable of it.  And Kate is CERTAINLY capable of it.  But too many acts bring
NOTHING extra to the stage--it's just a fan-adoration-fest.  (For Kate, even
*that* would be enough, eh?  But SHE won't let herself settle for that.)

Per Chris:
Hugs and kisses all around...we all love each other, don't we?!  No hard
feelings.
"It is this that brings us together"

"Otra guerra sin razon                            pDaleCampbell
   otra guerra sin fin, sin honor."               pdc@acorn.net