Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Q

From: stev0@zuni.chaco.com (Steve Berlin)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 11:07:06 -0700
Subject: Being for the Benefit of Mr. Q
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

"Mr Q." <qar@pacbell.net> writes:

>Check out my new Site with a large Kate Bush Section.  Please tell all your
>friends.

[snippity snip]

>Web: http://www.mr-q.com/rockgods/

Ignoring the fact that they use frames (OK, that's sort of like asking a realtor
to ask a prospective buyer to ignore the fact that the house is on fire),
there's not
much there. click on the "Kate Bush" link, and all you get is a set of a
half dozen
links to other sites, easily found through Yahoo! or the Ultimate Band List
or a
dozen different places.  Worse yet, there's the glaring omission of Gaffaweb
(http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/) which sources more objective than me
have declared it the defintive source for serious Kate research.

So, since I'm in a good mood, I'll give this loser the benefit of looking at The
Big Picture (Hey, that would be a good name for a Tori Amos song).  He's
listing "Female rock goddesses".  A noble enough objective, but look:
Sheena Easton?  Lita Ford?!?  When was the last time you saw a heavy Lita
Ford discussion on any of the newsgroups/mailing lists YOU read?
Still being nice, I'm also ignoring the fact that they list No Doubt, the most
annoying band in the solar system.

Let's say you DO want a list of ONLY (or at least mostly) of bands discussed
here?  Well, get your browser over to Vickie's List of Ecto Artists:
http://miso.wwa.com/~vickie/artists/
where you'll find everyone from Tori Amos to Victoria Williams.  Yeah, there
are a few oddball choices in here (Klaus Nomi?) - but the gold-to-crap ratio
can only be beat by setting up your own goddamn hotlist.

Also, Vickie's sub-page of Kate Bush links
http://miso.wwa.com/~vickie/artists/kb.html

beats anything found anywhere (and I'm not saying that just 'cause she
uses my reviews - I'm saying it 'cause there's EVERYTHING listed here!)

Another source with a lower gold-to-crap ratio is The Ectophile's Guide to
Good Music

http://weber.u.washington.edu/~neile/EctoGuide/eg.index.html

Click on the "A's" and the first two artists listed are Paula Abdul and Adam
Ant.  Obviously some definition of "good" that I was previously unaware of
(confession:  I LIKE Adam Ant.  But I'd hardly consider him "good").

The Kate sub-page:
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~neile/EctoGuide/bush.kate.html

is a damn good Kate page in its own right.  Discography that isn't
a complete (read as: anal) as in Gaffaweb, and lots of interesting
commentary (the best is that for people's various mini-reviews of
"The Red Shoes":  "I never thought a Kate album could place so low."
followed two reviews later by "My favorite Kate album").

The page could use some links to the outside world (the one link it
has is out of date), but I do love the fact it has one link that cuts to
the chase:  It classifies Kate (correctly) as a Goddess, and if you
click on that link, it brings you to:

http://weber.u.washington.edu/~neile/EctoGuide/eg.g.goddesses.html

listing Tori, Kate, Sarah, and Jane (for some reason someone named
Happy is also listed).  What more do you need?

- Stev0, Feeding the Fire

"I'm picturing a way that people can easily exchange information,
pictures, etc. about Kate Bush."
 - Tim Berners-Lee