Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush and Wuthering Heights

From: Douglas Alan <nessus@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 13:48:56 -0400
Subject: Re: Kate Bush and Wuthering Heights
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> From: IEDSRI@aol.com
> Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 19:22:54 -0400

>  >> I can't be the only one who thinks this a terrible goof that should not
>  >> have been left uncorrected in an otherwise beautiful song.

> Once again, this was not a mistake, whether you agree or not.
> All you have to do is listen to any of the other live recordings
> of the song and you'll hear that Kate sings this word exactly the
> same way as in the "New Vocal" version.  It's not a mistake, it's
> just a musical change.

IED, my wife Cheryl is a classically trained singer (at The New
England Conservatory).  She says that Kate's voice breaks while
singing the "Cathy" in question.  Now, admittedly this can be done on
purpose, such as in done very frequently by Sarah McLachlan to great
affect, but Kate's break here doesn't sound all that good.  It is hard
to believe that Kate would leave it like this unless it was
intentional, but I don't recall hearing a similar break during live
performances of the song.  Are you claiming that this break (and not
just the notes being sung) occurs in all of Kate's live performances
of the song.  My wife does not claim that Kate has missed any notes.