Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Kate Bush and Wuthering Heights

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 16:22:32 -0500
Subject: RE: Kate Bush and Wuthering Heights
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

[?]

 >> I can't be the only one who thinks this a terrible goof that should
not
 >> have been left uncorrected in an otherwise beautiful song.

[Moon]
 > Just wanted to say that I agree!  Always wondered how that
 > could manage to make it to print.

[IED]

>Once again, this was not a mistake, whether you agree or not.
>All you have to do is listen to any of the other live recordings
>of the song and you'll hear that Kate sings this word exactly the
>same way as in the "New Vocal" version.  It's not a mistake, it's
>just a musical change.

You could be right, but it is also a note that is flat as
a roof shingle.  I believe you are right that the note is
intended because kate doesn't leave errors that big behind
without some artistic intent.  That does not change the
opinions of many, of which I am one, that it is a distinctly
unpleasant artifact of the production.

Wuthering Heights is the classic composition in which an
artist writes a song that they can perform best at a certain
age with a certain skill, and that age passes and that skill
diminishes.  We've all done it and at some point, we put these
earlier compositions away cheerful that while we did perform
them well, we also recorded them.  Actually, I always thought
her version of it on Hammersmith was the least well-done thing
there, but I attributed that to the fatigue of it coming at
the end of an incredible feat of performing.

IMO, Kate should have left WH alone but it is her song and her record,
so she can do as she wills.  It ain't my favorite Kate Bush to begin
with although I love the video because she is such a spectacular
looker in it.  At every phase of her career, a different kind
of beauty emerges and I am so thankful for it.  The Women of Ireland
blows me away.  It is so good to hear her voice up front in a mix.

C'mon Cathy, find yourself a new gypsy troupe and see the world!
Don't do the Tour of Life again.  Do a tour for love.  Ours.

Can you be so satisfied that we don't matter?  We'd make a deal
with God, woman.

len bullard