Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Most welcome

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 10 Sep 96 13:55:53 EDT
Subject: Re: Most welcome
To: kln@crl.com, iedsri@aol.com
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

--- Karen Newcombe wrote:
Most refreshing to see IED rise to defend Kate's musical honor this
week!  We need the occasional reminder that Kate is without fault
in every way.
--- end of quoted material ---
Well, I for one, am not convinced that the "new vocal" version of WH is without
flaw.
To me, it sounds like a rushed job.  IMHO, her voice does "crack" when she
sings
"you know it's me,  cathy....".  If this version were truly live,  then I would
accept her interpretation.  Heck, I'd accept anything live...(are you reading
this, Kate?)
But it's not live.  Knowing how Kate is such a perfectionist in the studio, I'm
sure
she would've done a better job of it if she had more time.  Let's not forget
that
The Whole Story came out just a year after HoL.  It was a busy year for Kate
and I'm
sure she was under pressure to "deliver" one or two songs so that the
compilation
would be more desirable to the buying public.   She obviously delivered for EXP
IV...
but WH was a "nice try" at best.  Everytime I hear it, it makes me want to
listen to
the original...or any of the truly "live" versions out there (bootleg or
Hammersmith).

Kate is NOT without flaw...  nobody is without flaw....except IED, perhaps?
nah!  The
simple fact that he thinks Kate is perfect is a flaw in itself.

Oh, I just thought of another "flawed" recording....Un Baiser D'Enfant.
While Kate
sings "...avant qu'il ne soit trop tard...", BVs are singing "..before it gets
too much..."
Had Kate been flawless, she would've redone the BVs.   Oops!   Also, her french
pronounciation is flawed...again, I would put this under "nice try" category.

peace

ron