Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Little Light Shining

From: kln@crl.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 15:22:06 -0700
Subject: Little Light Shining
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I think it is quite evident that the character in TNW is rescued at the end.
The first line of lyrics pleads "little light guide them to me" and haven't we
established in the past that life preservers often have a little light on them
to guide rescuers at night?  Of course it would be at the top of the life
preserver, therefore "my face is all lit up".

At the end of Hello Earth we hear sonar blips.  Sonar is often used by fishing
boats to detect schools of fish, and as we now know to our great sorrow, in
combing the sea for survivors and wreckage. Then the german voice says "there's
a little light in the deep". Evidently a search vessel or fishing boat has seen
the life preserver light and comes to the rescue.

The ordeal in the water, the out-of-body experience is now over. The lost one
mutters "go to sleep little earth" as the spiritual visits to past life, present
life and future life subside and the reality of being back in the world, back on
land, back with the family and loved one take hold -- "I kiss the ground . . .
you know what? I love you better now."

Karen  kln@crl.com  Dear friends, please note my e-mail address has changed.

<----  End Forwarded Message  ---->