Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Please don't start picking "Eat the Music" apart... PLEASE!

From: maybe the last real beer in america <woj@remus.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 18:15:38 -0400
Subject: Re: Please don't start picking "Eat the Music" apart... PLEASE!
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

also sprach Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>:

>Please, if there's anybody else out there who finds EtM one of the most
>happy, glorious, wonderful (and sexual) songs ever, please help me defend
>it - I beg you!

i normally try to avoid the best/worst discussions, but since alan has
so eloquently asked for support, i'll pipe up.

"eat the music"'s repetativeness is often reviled as boring, but i find
that to be its strength: the music is a wonderfully mesmerizing blend
of african and caribbean rhythms. as she incorporated the trio bulgarka
into her music, so too is she bringing in the afrocarribean. while "eat
the music" may not live up to some of the standards set by afropop
artists, one has to remember that "eat the music" is neither western
pop nor afropop.  it is somewhere inbetween.

there is also an emotional aspect to this song. the key to unlocking
this facet is the look on KaTe's face in the video. KaTe is taping into
the ecstatic aspects of music: the ability of music to alter emotions
and mental states (incidentially, a characteristic of african and
carribean music).

in that context, i find "eat the music" to be a great success.

_O_ | woj@remus.rutgers.edu