Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Please don't start picking "Eat the Music" apart... PLEASE!

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 01:31:05 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Please don't start picking "Eat the Music" apart... PLEASE!
To: maybe the last real beer in america <woj@remus.rutgers.edu>
cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> i normally try to avoid the best/worst discussions, but since alan has
> so eloquently asked for support, i'll pipe up.

Thanks!

> "eat the music"'s repetativeness is often reviled as boring, but i find
> that to be its strength: the music is a wonderfully mesmerizing blend
> of african and caribbean rhythms. as she incorporated the trio bulgarka
> into her music, so too is she bringing in the afrocarribean. while "eat
> the music" may not live up to some of the standards set by afropop
> artists, one has to remember that "eat the music" is neither western
> pop nor afropop.  it is somewhere inbetween.

The music itself is really energetic... I think that's apparent from the
video - and like somebody said about "The Dreaming" and "The Ninth Wave"
requiring a lot of energy to appreciate, I think "Eat the Music" (and a
lot of the other tracks on the last two albums) require a different kind
of energy to the albums from before "The Sensual World"... EtM certainly
leaves me exhausted, but I always feel better after listening to it. It
has a happy, colourful (and sexual) energy that really affects me in a
way that more traditionally pop and rock songs don't.

> there is also an emotional aspect to this song. the key to unlocking
> this facet is the look on KaTe's face in the video. KaTe is taping into
> the ecstatic aspects of music: the ability of music to alter emotions
> and mental states (incidentially, a characteristic of african and
> carribean music).

The video is certainly great... maybe not in the same vein as
"Cloudbusting" or "Experiment IV", but it tells a story in a different
way... the way Kate becomes prgoressively more involved in the song.

"You've gotta sing for your smile"

> in that context, i find "eat the music" to be a great success.

Me too!

Bye for now,

Alan.