Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Deeper Understanding

From: Gonzalo Balerdi <gonzalo@startel.com.ar>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 00:24:09 -0300
Subject: Deeper Understanding
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi all,

C'on guys... don't try to defend the undefendable. IMHO, DU is by far her
worst song. The melody is quite good, but she spoiled it with all the beeps
beeps and the silly lyrics. It's the one Kate song I just can't listen to.

Again, that's IMHO.

>Allen Brunson <brunson@techcontrol.com> wrote:
>> It's the DETAILS she gets wrong.  "I was loading a new program" -- uh huh,
>> lots of computer users say THAT ... and "press Execute" ... Um, let's
>> see, was it the Lisa that had an 'execute' key?  The Ti-99?

Timex Sinclair had "NewLine"
 :)

>Hmmm, I say "loading a new program" too, is that wrong?

:-/

>> And naturally we HAVE to have the little synth-y beeps and boops,
>> *everybody* knows computers make those kinds of noises, silly.
>
>Of course! You may say "silly" but personally I'm quite disappointed at
>modern computers, they just don't have lots of lights either, they're
>just plain boxes - boring! Come on, how much is a bank of LEDs, they
>would give me some confidence when I have no idea if my machine has
>hung again, or is still working on something. The Thinking Machine
>displayed in Jurassic Park has lots of LEDs, and it IS a real machine,

** What ??? **  When the girl is trying to hack it's UNIX ( if my memory
serves me correctly, she says "oh, good, its unix" )  she just wanders
through some rendered mazes, kind of a VRML world. It's more like Doom than
an OS. Is *that* a real machine? .  Same thing happens here: IMHO, they
spoiled the movie with this scene.

>Incidentally, how many of you (yes, I mean you) spend evenings
>with your computer? I'm not taking a survey, but just listen to
>the track, read the lyrics, and consider the concept of the song.
>Time to act on my "bodily needs" - no... eat.

I used to do that a lot with my Apple ][+ and my //e, writing Applesoft and
6502 programs. Those were the days!!!

Chau

        Gonzalo