Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Computer terminology

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 00:24:21 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Computer terminology
To: Bryan Dongray <btd@cray.com>
cc: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Bryan Dongray wrote:

> Allen Brunson <brunson@techcontrol.com> wrote:

> > And naturally we HAVE to have the little synth-y beeps and boops,
> > *everybody* knows computers make those kinds of noises, silly.
>
> Of course! You may say "silly" but personally I'm quite disappointed at
> modern computers, they just don't have lots of lights either, they're
> just plain boxes - boring!

Come to think of it, my computer often makes lots of silly beeps
anyway... mainly when Windows crashes :)

> You have to understand that videos are
> just theatrics, which exaggerate to make things so obvious.
> License granted!

Yeah... think of "Cloudbusting"... as much as I love it, the part where
Kate and Sutherland push the machine to the top of the hill - they have
it covered up, even though they both know what it is. When they get to
the top, it's like some media event - like when somebody uncovers a
plaque which commemorates something... yet there's no-one in sight!

> Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk> replied:

> Sorry Alan, I think it's a great line. I also love the line:

Reading your other comments about this made me think... when I considered
that lyric I was thinking in terms of a program which somebody just runs
as soon as they get it... I mean, who's to say the program Kate refers to
isn't some kind of amazing AI program, one that might be programmable to
the 'personality' she chooses for her computer-based companion :) Then,
it would make sense for the "Execute" button - much like in programming
environments (how they sometimes have "Execute" as a menu option)...
Anyway, I always thought of "Deeper Understanding" as being highly
futuristic, if it's meant to be strictly in regards to computers, and
that is why I thought it was as much about an intelligent machine which
somebody could choose the personality for... like she knows what she
wants in a friend/lover, but is too afraid of the big world to go and
find somebody like that... instead she resorts to making an artificial
person who she can spend time with instead (I keep getting images of
the film "Weird Science" now).

> Incidentally, how many of you (yes, I mean you) spend evenings
> with your computer? I'm not taking a survey, but just listen to
> the track, read the lyrics, and consider the concept of the song.
> Time to act on my "bodily needs" - no... eat.

Yep, you might not be "taking a survey" but I'll admit it... I've spent a
whole evening using my computer when my friends are all busy and I can't
be bothered to go out on my own... I can't say I've ever neglected my
bodily needs because of it though *grin*

Alan.