Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Computer terminology

From: Bryan Dongray <btd@cray.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 14:13:49 -0500
Subject: Computer terminology
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Allen Brunson <brunson@techcontrol.com> wrote:
> It's the DETAILS she gets wrong.  "I was loading a new program" -- uh huh,
> lots of computer users say THAT ... and "press Execute" ... Um, let's
> see, was it the Lisa that had an 'execute' key?  The Ti-99?

Hmmm, I say "loading a new program" too, is that wrong?

On "press Execute". How do you know it's not a mouse driven application?
ie point and click, where you WOULD point at a "button" that could
very easily have "Execute" on it?

Ahhh, THANKS for the idea. I have just changed my kate page lyric
search engine request button to say "Execute". I love it!
Feel free to "press Execute" all you want.

> And naturally we HAVE to have the little synth-y beeps and boops,
> *everybody* knows computers make those kinds of noises, silly.

Of course! You may say "silly" but personally I'm quite disappointed at
modern computers, they just don't have lots of lights either, they're
just plain boxes - boring! Come on, how much is a bank of LEDs, they
would give me some confidence when I have no idea if my machine has
hung again, or is still working on something. The Thinking Machine
displayed in Jurassic Park has lots of LEDs, and it IS a real machine,
not something out of the Hollywood special effects department.

> I don't watch TV, but if there was a video, let me guess: There
> were rotating, spinning wireframe models on the screen.

So what does your lockscreen look like? The wireframe versions are
quite popular (still). Also onsider the most excellent video of ExpIV
which has a BIG on/off switch. You have to understand that videos are
just theatrics, which exaggerate to make things so obvious.
License granted!

Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk> replied:
> Sure, the "I press execute" part is a badly chosen lyric,

Sorry Alan, I think it's a great line. I also love the line:
	This voice console is a must.
the double meaning on the word "console" is excellent.

Incidentally, how many of you (yes, I mean you) spend evenings
with your computer? I'm not taking a survey, but just listen to
the track, read the lyrics, and consider the concept of the song.
Time to act on my "bodily needs" - no... eat.

			Bryan Dongray