Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Computer terminology

From: Allen Brunson <brunson@techcontrol.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 22:49:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Computer terminology
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Well, I'm certainly glad I could get all you guys stirred up like this!

> Hmmm, I say "loading a new program" too, is that wrong?

Okay, not a GREAT example, but it does sound affected to me.

> On "press Execute". How do you know it's not a mouse driven
> application? ie point and click, where you WOULD point at a "button"
> that could very easily have "Execute" on it?

Oh, Bryan.  There's really nothing Kate could do that you couldn't
rationalize somehow, is there?

> Ahhh, THANKS for the idea. I have just changed my kate page lyric
> search engine request button to say "Execute". I love it!
> Feel free to "press Execute" all you want.

Bryan, I'm shocked!  I felt certain you'd tell me that you'd contracted
to have an "execute" key injection-molded for my keyboard.  Would you
like the dimensions of the Enter key it will replace?  Now, THAT would
be winning the argument ....

>> And naturally we HAVE to have the little synth-y beeps and boops,
>> *everybody* knows computers make those kinds of noises, silly.
>
>Of course! You may say "silly" but personally I'm quite disappointed at
>modern computers, they just don't have lots of lights either, they're
>just plain boxes - boring!

You never got around to explaining the "beeps and boops," but no bother;
I'm certain you could have come up with something.

> You have to understand that videos are just theatrics, which
> exaggerate to make things so obvious.  License granted!

No, I understand no such thing.  What you'd call "theatrics" I would
call "phony."  "License" certainly NOT granted by me!

> Incidentally, how many of you (yes, I mean you) spend evenings
> with your computer? I'm not taking a survey, but just listen to
> the track, read the lyrics, and consider the concept of the song.
> Time to act on my "bodily needs" - no... eat.

Finally, we can agree on something.  As I said, I have no quarrel with
the "I'm using this as an obsession to avoid something else" theme of
the song.  I just think her execution fell short -- or should I say, she
didn't "press execute" very well?  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Allen
--
I don't trust you
Why should you trust me?  -- The Clash