Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Playing the numbers

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:30:39 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Playing the numbers
To: Allen Brunson <brunson@techcontrol.com>
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Allen Brunson wrote:

> And naturally we HAVE to have the little synth-y beeps
> and boops, *everybody* knows computers make those kinds of noises,
> silly.  I don't watch TV, but if there was a video, let me guess: There
> were rotating, spinning wireframe models on the screen.  Cliches,
> cliches, cliches.

Two thoughts:

Maybe she wanted to make it all a little "tongue-in-cheek" with the
effects and all.

OR

The way the track builds up as it gets to the part saying "Hello, I
know..." and all that - it's maybe it's not meant to be realistic, but
more to portray the feeling that this person is getting from having the
computer to 'talk' to... that it's their friend, and they feel
comfortable with it - I mean, how else could she represent it
realistically apart from a lyric like "Damn Windows - it's crashed
again"? Sure, the "I press execute" part is a badly chosen lyric, but
that's one line out of the whole song... just let it flow over you (maybe
when you're feeling lonely yourself) and see if it has an effect.

Alan.