Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate? DENIED!

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:24:17 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: Kate? DENIED!
To: Allen Anderson <aanderson@ppg01.sc.hp.com>
Cc: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 29 Jul 1996, Allen Anderson wrote:

> I have a tough time taking 'Deeper understanding' and 'Heads We're
> Dancing' seriously.  They are silly songs, whose stories don't really
> appeal or resonate with me.

Okay, it's most likely personal taste, but I don't consider them silly.
"Deeper Understanding" always gives me the impression that Kate was
trying to show how too much of anything can be bad, and that she was just
expressing this. And "Head's We're Dancing" - I always thought the idea
was that she didn't initially realise that this guy she dances with is
Hitler, as if she is naive in some way, that she doesn't have much
experience in the world... kind of like in this story she is actually
stepping out into the world and while she liked the guy at first, enjoyed
the dancing, she doesn't like it when she realises that he is Hitler
because of all she has heard (i.e. she might not have seen his picture
until that morning when she reads the paper - i.e. she is incredibly
naive up to that point).

>  Much of the rest of the album is *GREATNESS*
> (by her KaTeNess), however.  I love TSW, the Fog, Rocket's Tail...Yep, I
> like the Trio, but I just don't like some of ....(ackkk..) Kate's songs.

"Rocket's Tail"... I love that song, and I was thinking about whether it
was inspired by the original version of "Rocket Man"... just in the
sleeve of "Two Rooms" she says something along the lines that being asked
which track she wanted to do for the tribute was like being asked if she
wanted to fulfil her dream, to be Rocket Man... Just a thought... anyone
got any more details than that on why she chose to cover RM?

Alan.