Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

STOP IT! After all, it's a sensual world, so enjoy it...

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 23:48:21 +0100 (BST)
Subject: STOP IT! After all, it's a sensual world, so enjoy it...
To: Derek Langsford <dlangs@sunstroke.sdsu.edu>
cc: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On 29 Jul 1996, Derek Langsford wrote:

> I think you could make one great album from the songs off TSW and TRS.
> Instead both are deminished by the lesser tracks.  I must admit my
> excitement for Kate has wained since TSW.  It will take a return to form
> for me to get every CD single she puts out in the future.  They were
> notably weak for the TRS singles.

I just don't get how so many of you don't like TSW and TRS... they're
wonderful... Apart from maybe "Between a Man and a Woman" I love these
too albums, and I still like that track anyway... there's nothing bad
really bad about it. What do you guys want? It seems like most of you are
obsessed with the innovation she put across on TD and HOL, but can you
really expect her to keep doing music like that? It would become cliqued
if all her albums had the same effect as those... as it stands, the
emotions they get across are made all the more special because Kate has
written other music which contrasts against it... not in a good/bad way,
but in a way that simply expresses her emotions in a different way. But
what's so bad about tracks like "The Fog"... it expresses fear so well,
but at the same time it shows her love. And some of you have criticised
"Big Stripey Lie" before, that the noise is dreadful because all the
instruments and vocals sound like they're conflicting, but that's the
beauty of it - Kate says in the TRS magazine that the KBC put out:
"...the song took on the shape of wandering into someone's emotional
world which is jungle-like and 'wild'" and I've always thought that she
meant it was like being in the mind of somebody who is confused, that
can't figure out how to express their feelings or something along those
lines... maybe I'm just drawing my own interpretation too much, but I
can't say I hate any of the tracks on either of these albums. Sure, the
B-side content of the singles wasn't amazing, at least for the TRS
singles, but then before HOL the B-sides were pretty few... maybe it was
just that the ones for the HOL singles were exceptionally good, and they
make the later ones look bad when really they are quite good - "You Want
Alchemy" is a dreamy song, and maybe it's just that some of you see that
Kate is moving away from the style of TD and HOL and you don't want to
believe it... no matter how much her fans have supported her over the
years, surely it's better that she takes her own path rather than
pandering to what the fans want... it's her life, her career, and if some
of us don't like it, it's tough. I feel pretty much the same way about
Tori Amos' last album - it's not as captivating as the first two, but
it's her decision to take that direction with her music, and I respect
her for it as much as I dislike much of the album...

> All this is IMHO of course.

... and the same goes for this message :)

Alan.