Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

I've always wondered ...

From: "Mackay Jim - Kan. Av." <mackeyj@kan.marconi.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 15:27:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: I've always wondered ...
To: kate <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

... when people speak of not liking something at first but after repeated
listenings became a devoted fan.  Why did you give it repeated listenings?
 When I was younger and bought albums like an addiction (sometimes if I
liked the cover, or the title etc.) if it didn't grab me it was usually
ditched in favour of opening the next one.

Now I find that spending time with my children limits free time for musical
experimentation  (before the flames start, I play music for the children -
my five year old claims he likes rock and roll on the CD but I nearly cried
when he picked up an album and said what is this daddy?).

I too have discovered music that I previously ignored, but only after
repeatedly having had it recommended.  I have also found pieces that I still
didn't like (get?) after trying them again.  How many times do you try?

Still curious, but I'll get back to work.

W.J. MacKAY (jmackay@kan.marconi.ca)