Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Common Ground: Should I?

From: Kelley.Hays-Gilpin@nau.edu
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 20:38:47 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: RE: Common Ground: Should I?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Pogo, I'd give Common Ground mixed reviews.  Actually, I already did,
but will re-frame my review...is it worth US$15.99?  For me it is,
but only because I don't have that many CDs yet (just topped 50) and
am in a phase of actively looking for new bands that I'll like.
I only like about half the songs on Common Ground, tho' none are BAD
in my opinion--it's just that about half are boring or you feel like
you've heard them before.  But in order of splendiforousness, we
do have Kate (of course), Liam O Maonlai, Elvis Costello, and Sinead,
who give unique and strong performances.  I expected more from Maire
Brennan and the U2 guys (guess I'd rather hear some of their old stuff).
It was worth it for me to hear what O Maonlai and the other unfamiliar-
to-me artists sound like, but if you already know, you might be
disappointed in the majority of tracks.  Does that make sense?
Anyway, just my 2 cents worth...
cheers,
Kelley
p.s. is 50 CDs a lot or not?  Am I just getting started or already
an obscenely over-spending capitalist piggy-girl?  it seems like a
lot but I always want more now that I work at home...