Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Sales and Kate

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 16:30:27 -0500
Subject: Sales and Kate
To: thunter@ukmail1.cv.com
CC: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>small point of interest there.. about a year or so back I saw some TV show that listed
>the top 30 grossing UK artists. Number 1 was Phill Colins taking home 18 million UKP a
>year, but there at 29 was one K Bush, struggling by on only 450,000 ukp. I should be so
>indolent!

United Kingdom Pounds?

Ok by me too, but that income or even that number of sales for
a major global artist is considered a failure in the music
business, or a, "ok we'll keep her on the label until she
gets a hit".  My actual point is, if we/she/anybody wants
EMI, Columbia, Sony to promote her, she has to be willing
to carry a lot of the load herself.  Doing a song and taking
off for a year is not exactly pressing the flesh. They won't
drop her because she is a prestige artist, but the market
she could have had by *rights* is now the proud domain
of Tori Amos, and no matter how we feel about that individually,
once chart dominance in a niche is achieved, it is seldom
unseated without tremendous effort.  Do we care?  No.
Does she lose money? Yes.  Does she care?  Who knows...

Like most of her fans, I have just one request: no, not that one,
this one:  "TOUR DAMMIT!!"

len