Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: talent and genius in the U.S.

From: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 16:21:14 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: talent and genius in the U.S.
To: SamiT007@aol.com
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 SamiT007@aol.com wrote:

> Oooh, getting a little snide, aren't we?  Get off your pompous British butt
> and start listening to some of the amazingly wonderful new music that is
> coming out of the U.S.

I'd just like to add that not all of us British people are like this... I
was really annoyed when Tony Blair appeared at the Brits ceremony and
said something about British music reclaiming its "rightful place"... why
do we, or anybody else, have a right to take a place in the music world?
Perhaps it's because we're in the Western world, where the arrogance of
achievements appears to be taking over instead of trying to take things
in perspective...

> The way to find out about what's going on in the music world is to listen to
> it, not to bury your head in the sand and choose to be ignorant.

> (Sorry all, for the non-Kate-related conversation!)

That's perfectly okay... I'm sure other Kate-fans can't stand all the
arrogance that is about in the music scene today...

Alan.

	Alan Stonebridge
	E-Mail: Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk
	WWW Page: http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d574xm/index.html
                  "Watching storms start to form over America,
      Can't do anything. Just watch them swing with the wind out to sea..."
		Kate Bush ......................... Hello Earth