Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Warning! New Kate Page!

From: braffet@hawaii.edu (Elizabeth Braffet)
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 22:53:40 GMT
Subject: Re: Warning! New Kate Page!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <Pine.BSD.3.92.960529031120.12727A-100000@miso.wwa.com>,
vickie@miso.wwa.com ("Xenu's Sister") wrote:

> >On Wed, 29 May 1996, Anders Hultman wrote:
> >
> > Well, in my browser this page is totally unreadable with light
> > green/blueish and purple text on a light patteren backgruond.
>
> YIKES! Something's wrong, because it's a black and dark blue
> patterned background, with lighter purple text. I swear to
> goddess I tried it on 5 different browsers and it looked
> fine.
>
> Maybe it's your monitor? :-)
>
> Don't take that wrong. I'll change it. I still have no idea
> why you see a *light* patterned background though. Weird.
> The same pattern is used for the FAQ too. Is that bad for
> you too?
>
> Vickie

Vickie your guess was likely correct, the weird color scheme he sees is
undoubtably an artifact of having an 8 bit color monitor. Believe me, I
know, we have an entire lab of the odious things, just about everything
looks bad on them.  The only way for _you_ to 'fix' your page in this
situation is to use a 16 color palette of whatever the system colors are
for the computer the monitor is attached to, and since you can't know
that, it's really not a practical consideration.  The majority of folks
out there have 16 bit color monitors so I'd say keep your color scheme,
your pages should look good to most of the internet.  What the  person
with the 8 bit monitor can do (what we do with our machines) is set the
browser to ignore the design and use the default grey background and black
text.  You don't get to see people's cool designs but the pages are always
readable.  So, for you poor souls stuck with 8 bit monitors or worse, you
have our sympathies, but we know you can still get by.

Aloha,
Elizabeth
braffet@hawaii.edu

--