Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love the Music, Barf the Music

From: SamiT007@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 19:43:19 -0400
Subject: Re: Love the Music, Barf the Music
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Impossible to come up with a TOP 5 favorite list.  Here are my 13 TOP 10 Kate
songs (in no particular order):

1. And Dream of Sheep -- So soothing, induces a drug-like state in me (like
poppies), I go in a trance listening to this song--pretty much has the same
effect on me as Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb.
2. This Woman's Work -- the emotion, the emotion.  Makes me cry.
3. Under the Ivy -- again, the emotion and imagery in this simple, delicate
and beautiful little song is so amazing.  When I've got this going in the
tape-player in my car, I get stuck on it for days.  Unfortunately, my
tape-cassette broke (from re-winding this song so much, I'm sure) and I had
to piece it together with scotch tape, so there's a glitch in the middle of
this lovely melody.  :(
4. Song of Solomon -- if a man were to ever speak to me with words like
these, I would melt in his arms.  Motivated me to read the book of the Bible
again--amazing literature.
5. Moving -- any song can produce such a feeling of fullness in the music,
well, it's gotta be one of the best--and the use of whale songs, I have
always been enchanted by whales.  The first time I heard this song, I knew I
had found a place close to heaven.
6. Moments of Pleasure  --  For all the friends I have lost, I grieve.  When
I hear or even think of this song, I not only grieve, but I celebrate our
lives together and the privilege it was to know each one of those beautiful
souls.
7. Houdini -- What a wonderful tribute to such an enigmatic life and time!
 One has to be enraptured by Houdini and the aura of intrigue surrounding
even his name.  By the way, has anyone here seen "the Linguini Incident" with
David Bowie and Rosanna Arquette?  I can't believe this song was NOT included
in the movie!  It would have been Perfection!
8. Waking the Witch -- I love the sound effects at the beginning--a vocal
"strobe light" of sorts.  Pretty cool.  And how much can possibly go on in
one song and still be coherent?  Absolutely fabulous!
9. All We Ever Look For -- The song is mostly okay, but I really get off on
the sound effects of the steps walking and opening different doors and seeing
what's behind them.  What a great concept--I can see it every single time I
hear the song.  When I'm hearing that part, I lose track of what is around me
and see only what's behind those doors...
10. Breathing -- How can a song written about the greatest fear of a child of
the Cold War be so poignant, delicate and beautiful?
11. The Big Sky -- ah, the limitless possibilities!
12. Passing Through Air -- such a delightful song.  "Oh, don't you throw my
love away"--such an enchanting entreaty!
13. Watching You Without Me -- the emotion in her voice, as she sings...I
catch my breath every time and find myself standing still, with my eyes
closed and my hands crossed over my heart.

BARF THE MUSIC:  How delighted I am to discover that one can be a staunch
Kate Bush fan and still not adore every last tune of hers.  I have found only
a few grievously troubling tunes, however:

1. Big Stripey Lie -- what can I really say?  YUCK!  YUCK!  YUCK!  (Oh Kate,
darling, what were you thinking!)
2. Rocket's Tail -- can the Trio possibly be more annoying?  HEE HEE HEE HEE
 I don't think so...
3. Rubberband Girl -- I thought it was cute the first time I heard it.  And
the second.  And the third.  Then it got old REALLY fast.
4. Eat the Music -- "not only women bleed"--great line, the rest is old and
weary.  If the tune had been a little more diverse instead of the same old
thing over and over and over it may have been okay.  Cutting the length in
half would have improved it quite a bit, too!
5. Alternative Hounds of Love -- I'm with those of you who already mentioned
how STUPID this mix is.

Enough griping, already.  I love Kate's music!  There's nothing else like it.
 Even these songs I don't like much at all, are brilliant compared to the
majority of the music available in the universe.

God Bless Kate.

See y'all later,
~~~Samantha