Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Paperhouse

From: alec baker <alec@wessex.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 May 1996 19:37:53 GMT
Subject: Re: Paperhouse
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

violet@slip.net wrote:

>I'm so glad that somebody actually went out and found it!  So glad!  It IS
>great, isn't it?  Every time I watch it, my heart is in my throat at the
>end and I'm laughing and crying and so sad it's over.  Isn't it interesting
>that you don't have a clue where it's going until you're already there?
>You absolutely cannot guess where it's going.  Incredible!

It is a great film. The superbly atmospheric incidental music is a
major plus point, and all those memorable moments - the room full of
candles, the strange distorted bicycle....

The novel on which it was based ("Marianne Dreams" by Catherine Storr)
is also worth a read, although it's aimed at younger readers. In the
film the 'threat' was represented by the blinded father; in the book
however Marianne draws eyes on the standing stones that surround the
house, which brings them to life.....

I don't think the film is that well known here in the UK. It's been
shown on TV a couple of times, but only late at night on Channel 4,
one of the smaller stations. I believe it was released on LaserDisc in
the US though.