Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hi I'm new

From: Ariusz Nowak <ariusz@byd.ternet.pl>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 23:16:08 +0200 (MET DST)
Subject: Hi I'm new
To: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi, I'm new here.
I'm very surprised, that there is so many such a big Kate Bush fans around
the world. I live in Poland and it was very hard to find someone who was
interested in her music, so I have been thinking very long, that I'm a
biggest (only?) Katefan in this country.
Maybe it's because Kate is not so popular in Poland - it's hard to hear
her songs on the radio or TV.
First time I've heard her was about 1980, when in our TV the video for
Wuthering Heights was shown.  It was very late at night, and I was
enchanted so much that I could not sleep all night.  I didn't know even
who was that girl with the beautiful impressive voice - the video was
shown between two another programms just to fill the "gap" and nobody said
a word about it.  For some month was I couldn't forget about hwat I saw
and I desperately wanted to hear (and see!) it again - I watch TV
late almost every night so I was rewarded - they shown it again.  But I
still didn't know who she was.  I find out after some months incidently -
it was Kate Bush!  Since then I have been very intersted in her.  I must
say that in those years in Polish shops it was hard to get rock records
from West especially Kate.  What I have recorded it was only what was
airedin the radio - they sometimes play her songs.  The first album I'v
heard in a whole was... "The Dreaming".  I taped it on my poor mono taperecorder.
(Imagine - listening "The Dreaming" mono and with full of "bad tuned radio
station" noises).  But I was very happy to have it recorded.  It's hard
to believe, but before
that I'v heard only "Wuthering Heights" (It is still my favourite clip)
and after all that album is my favourite album - I'v listened to it
several thousand times and I still love to put it in my CD, put on my
headphones, set the volume "Max" and press "Repeat"...  Now situation on
the record market here is a lot better.  It's not difficult to colect all
the "regular" Kate Bush' albums.  But what I must say that I envy you in
the West one thing.  I've never heard Kate's B-sides, "Cathy Demos" nor
anything what wasn't released on "regular" albums.  I've found out about
that records here in Love-Hounds mailing list.  I think it will never be
available here.  I don't think I could affort bringing those records from
abroad (my salary is about $90 per month) It's still difficult to be Kate
Bush fan here.  Maybe some of you own the old audio cassette with this
material, and doesn't need it anymore (for instance you just have bought a
"TWW Box").  Maybe it is a bit brave of me to ask that, but it is
irritaiting - all the time I read about that records that I have no idea
about how them sound.  Forgive me my poor English, but I am much better
English reading and understanding that speaking and writing .  I am happy
that I met here on Love-Hounds so many friends - real Kate Bush fans.  I
used to convert some people around me for listening to her, but I failed.
So I there's no need to convince someone to it "by force", I think
everyone should discover her great art himself.  I think my letter is too
long, and a little boring already.  It's partly because it's hard for me
to write in English.  I would like to tell you so many things about my
"discovering" of Kate but I think It will be in next letters.

I have two questions:
#1 Once I've heard on the radio the song that I am convinced was
singing by Kate.  It sounded like a cover version of another artist song
(It was surely not Elton John' one, I'm not sure but it sounded like
Gershwin).  Is that song released on an album?
#2 Does anybody know about Kate's projects of new album. It 2.5 years
since "The Red Shoes" and I'm sure she's working on something new. When
could we expect it? (I am sure it will be another great surprise!).

                              Ariusz.