Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hello Earth, the messages

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 19:22:02 -0100
Subject: Hello Earth, the messages
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hello all,
IED writes:
>IED hates to be anticlimactic here, but he must recommend that Wieland and
>Graham give this part a fresh listen.
>The astronaut (speaking as though through a radio
>connection from space to NASA) is clearly repeating
>"Hello Earth!" right after Kate (2x).  It's very low-key, but
>IED hears it clear as a bell.

Okay, if you all agree on this one, I give in, but I still hear something like
"Hello urge" or "departure", something with a "tsh"-sound here.

I can think of two reasons for this distortion.
1. KaTe switched off the message a tick too early.
2. Early "Deep Space" communication used a very narrow frequency
   bandwidth leading to various distortions.

Just in case you're interested:
The "Hello Earth" opening message:
(by IED, Kevin Carosso and me)

1. voice: "Well, we're now at nine times the speed of sound."
2. voice: "Roger that, Dan, I've got a solid TACAN * locked on, uh,
           TACAN two and three."
3. voice: "The, uh, tracking data, map data and pre-planned
           trajectory are all one line on the block"
4. voice: "Show your block decode..."

* As you probably all know :-), the TACAN system is a military
  navigational system, also used by the shuttle.

Best wishes
    Wieland

PS: She's a witch, she's a witch!
    Yes! "Pyewackett" means "a witch's familiar"!!!
"Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!"

("Roger that, Dan, I'm locked on, my witch-o-meter is in the red...")