Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hello Earth, the messages

From: Bryan Dongray <btd@cray.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 14:21:20 -0500
Subject: Re: Hello Earth, the messages
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hello fellow astronauts,
ie those of us on the spaceship Earth, with a free annual journey
around a star at about a distance of 93 million miles.

Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de> replied:
> Okay, if you all agree on this one, I give in, but I still hear something like
> "Hello urge" or "departure", something with a "tsh"-sound here.
>
> I can think of two reasons for this distortion.
> 1. KaTe switched off the message a tick too early.
> 2. Early "Deep Space" communication used a very narrow frequency
>    bandwidth leading to various distortions.

FYI, I can CLEARLY hear "Hello Earth" both times.
I think they're said by Paddy or someone English, to me the
accent is clealy English, and as not many English men have been
into space, and none have probably said "Hello Earth", so I think
it's a simulated message.

> Just in case you're interested:
> The "Hello Earth" opening message:
> (by IED, Kevin Carosso and me)
>
> 1. voice: "Well, we're now at nine times the speed of sound."
> 2. voice: "Roger that, Dan, I've got a solid TACAN locked on, uh,
>            TACAN two and three."
> 3. voice: "The, uh, tracking data, map data and pre-planned
>            trajectory are all one line on the block"
> 4. voice: "Show your block decode..."

Sorry, but in line 1 I always used to hear:
	Travelling now at ...
So I checked out my lyrics, and have:
	Columbia now at ...
which makes MUCH more sense, and I hear that now my ears are tuned in.

By the way, this is my most favourite BEST ever track, EVER.
Listen to it while laying down looking up at the stars on a clear night.

What say you good people?

			Bryan Dongray

PS I corrected these lines in my lyrics (and my web page).
I've also fixed my web references to the singles there too.
If you've no clue what I'm talking about check out:
	http://home.cray.com/~btd/kate-bush
if you can.