Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate being a "witch"

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 96 09:47:08 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate being a "witch"
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

snacker@ix.netcom.com (Snacker) takes me to task:
>In <m0uALMB-000YBaC@miso.wwa.com> chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
>writes:
>
>{most of it snipped}

   And the part that was snipped included the challenge to come up with
*any* proof of this belief. I notice that you don't actually *offer* any.

>>P.S. Samantha, I'm not picking on you, please understand. But this
>>rumor is spread by non-fans and casual fans. It may be simple ego,
>>but if Kate *was* a practicing witch, by this time, we would know.
>
>Not true.....most real practicing witches/pagans do not go around
>broadcasting it. It is very sacred to them.

   HAH! Given the number of "pagans" constantly trumpeting their beliefs,
especially here on Love-Hounds, I *have* to laugh. If you search the archives
you'll find that "witches" and "pagans" have pretty much been the *only*
religious prosletizers on Love-Hounds. "Broadcasting" is *exactly* what
they have done with *very* annoying regularity.

   There are (IMO) fewer "pagan" references in Kate's work than christian,
surprising given how successfully the English and Irish have managed to
incorporate pre-christian elements into the celebration of the christian
holidays.

>>P.P.S. To any other "witches" out there, bite me, ok? I have no more
>>interest in your beliefs than I do christianity. At least those who
>>grow up in a religion have some excuse for possessing a set of
>>beliefs. Adopting a religion as fashion is nauseating.
>
>I have no interest in telling you my beliefs, nor do I have any desire
>to bite you, thank you. As a child, I had no choice as to what religion
>I grew up in, just as I had no choice as to what food I was being fed,
>what clothes I was made to wear.
>It was once I was old enough and free enough to establish my own
>personal set of beliefs that I found my real religion, and yes, it was
>adopted......

   Fashion. Possibly adopted for the "Woman-Oriented" aspects of
it (although I've seen groups that are as male-dominated as any other
religious group.)

   Are you a farmer? How does an agarian religion apply to your current
life? The holidays are related to planting, harvesting, fertility...how again
does this relate to your life?

   I guess you cannot see that urban dwellers adopting an obsolete
agarian belief system is, at best, silly, and at worst a very nasty
patronization/colonization of something that you have no *right*
to. It's not part of your society (except for the residual elements
incorporated into current christian holidays). You may as well
claim to be Amish.

>Methinks you know not of what you speak......

    Well, I have lived with practicing Wiccans, if that's any sort of
standard for "knowledge". Or are you one of those people who insist
that I have to actually *share* your foolishness to have an opinion
*about* your foolishness?

   The largest single influence on Kate's work is...........Hollywood.
She has written more songs based on movies than any other topic.
She probably has written more songs based on films than any
other songwriter. If she can be said to worship at any altar, it's the
Holy Silver Screen.