Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: And now its time that I must go

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 96 04:37:52 GMT
Subject: Re: And now its time that I must go
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Cc: jim@medinah.atc.ucarb.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>I'm afraid that I must leave the list. Work no longer will allow personal
>use of the internet. Unfortunately, I can't remember the how to leave and I
>can't find the FAQ. Could somebody send me how to get removed from the
>digest mailing list.
>
>I will eventually get my own account and I'll be back.

   If all you need is e-mail, and are not offended by adverts, there are two
companies offering free e-mail. The following URL is a news brief about
it: http://nytsyn.com/live/News3/110_041996_120010_20026.html

Quoted snippets:

Juno Online Services next week will launch a service that offers
electronic mail free to anyone with a Windows-based computer
and a modem.
..

The New York company plans to make money by attaching advertisements
to incoming e-mail.

..

The Juno system uses a computer in Cambridge, Mass. as a central post
office for e-mail. This computer will be accessible through 200 local phone
numbers around the country, as well as a toll-free 800 number. So Juno
users would not have to pay for access to the Internet to send and receive
e-mail.

The user will write his messages ``off line'' before connecting to the Juno
network. When the connection is made, the Juno software will send any
outgoing e-mail messages and pick up any incoming mail, along
with advertisements. Firms that have signed up to advertise on Juno
include clothing retailer Land's End, movie company Miramax and beverage
maker Snapple.

   [Why couldn't it have been "beverage maker" Fruitopia? Love-Hounds would
rush to sign up if they got Kate music every time they downloaded mail! :-)]

As part of the signup process, Juno users are required to provide
information about age, income and other factors of interest to advertisers.
Juno will use this information to send advertisements that are likely to be
of interest to the customer. For instance, a Juno user who enjoys golf could
receive ads for golf equipment.

   [Translation: You just have to be a good little consumer.]

``From the advertiser's point of view, what we can do is deliver
targetability that no other medium has ever had.'' But Ardai
added that names and addresses of customers would not be sold
to other firms.

   [Well, thankful for small favors.]

..

Juno isn't the only company to think of giving away e-mail. FreeMark
Communications Inc. of Cambridge plans to launch a similar service in early
May. FreeMark president Robert Young said that his company has a marketing
deal with Citibank, which will provide FreeMark e-mail as part of its home
banking service.

Beginning Monday, computer users will be able to download the Juno software
from the Internet at http://www.juno.com . The software is also available on
floppy disk and can be ordered by dialing 800-654-JUNO. The software will be
available for Windows-based computers only; there are no plans to offer a
Macintosh version.

End quoted segment.

   Well, it's at least 100% better than nothing. I wonder if FTP-mail will
work through it?