Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: it's in the trees

From: chrisw@miso.wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 96 23:40:34 GMT
Subject: Re: it's in the trees
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

>In article <4k90a7$9m6$1@mhade.production.compuserve.com>, Mike Shaw
><101564.2307@CompuServe.COM> writes
>>Am I right in thinking that the sound-sample "it's in the trees -
>>it's coming", (From the Hounds of Love)is taken directly from the
>>film "Night of the Demon" - a rather cultish film adaptation of a
>>classic M. R. James story?
>>
>You could be right - I would not want to bet on it, though. Mind you I'm
>not a betting man and never likely to be. I'll give you 10 to 1 against.

   It is a re-recording of *exactly* that. This is in the FAQ. Here's the
relevant part:

    Hounds of Love:
        The beginning ("It's in the trees!  It's coming!") is from the 1957
        UK horror movie "Night of the Demons" (US title: "Curse Of The Demon",
        original title: "Casting The Runes"), though Kate re-recorded the bit,
        because she couldn't get enough quality from the original.

  Something not in the FAQ is the connection that this film continued to have
on Kate's work. As noted above, the working title was "Casting The Runes".
It's been years since I've seen this film, but I recall symbols on paper
having great power. This concept was incorporated into Kate's film
"The Line, The Cross & The Curve" where Kate's character is tricked into
drawing the three symbols in the title on paper and giving them to Miranda
Richardson's character.

>>I wonder if there are any other MRJ references in the work.

   Possibly, but I'm not familiar enough with his work to say.

   Your assignment for this semester is to find them. Good luck. :-)

--
Chris Williams of
Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago