Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Musicians

From: ptapola@pippin.ntc.nokia.com (Pertti Tapola)
Date: 27 Mar 1996 07:13:29 GMT
Subject: Re: Musicians
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <Pine.3.89.9603241954.A19667-0100000@post.cis.smu.edu>, jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu ("John D. Walker") writes:
|> Well,
|> she still makes great records, so it works for her, I guess, but knowing
|> what live performance has done for me over the years I can't even imagine
|> what she'd be doing had she not retired from the stage.
|>
|> Let's face it, folks, Kate is a control freak.  Her whole creative
|> process is very insulated and meticulous.

There might be other reasons for this as well. :-)

Never having met Kate, but combining the facts that I've read and
adding a some speculation, I have made a hypothesis that she
actually does not enjoy confronting a lot of people at the same
time.  Rather she finds it tiresome.

She can still be good at it - when judging from the audience side,
but herself still feel inadequate or just exhausted from the effort.

This speculation is based on my similar experiences (on teaching
in university, however, not singing :-).

Anyway, whether this is the actual reason or not, this is the way
she likes to create: quality things seldom and on record or video,
produced away from masses.

I like the result - and I'm almost sure this is the best method she
can use (for herself).  Everything adds up her having been able to
select the best circumstances for her production - so we must believe
her that it is the best.

People are different, what fits someone does not fit someone else.
And the secret of her creativity is honesty to herself.

Keep it that way, Kate!

Pertti Tapola        pertti.tapola@ntc.nokia.com (in Finland, by the way)

              Canst thou not say, express it yet though!