Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Musicians

From: "John D. Walker" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 20:05:39 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Musicians
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

I just wanted to second the notion that it would have added to Kate's
considerable talents had she played live a bit more, and prehaps toured
again.  As Len said, one tour at age 20-21 when you're new in the
business and still finding your way, as it were, does not quite cut it.
I have learned more about getting good sounds, what works and what
doesn't for a given song, communicating with people, etc., from live
performances than I could ever learn cooped up by myself demoing stuff.
And that experience rolls back into the recording studio and makes you
better.  Kate has chosen to isolate herself from that experience.  Well,
she still makes great records, so it works for her, I guess, but knowing
what live performance has done for me over the years I can't even imagine
what she'd be doing had she not retired from the stage.

Let's face it, folks, Kate is a control freak.  Her whole creative
process is very insulated and meticulous.  Live performances are
controlled anarchy.  Things often misfire, and a lot of times you end up
winging stuff on the fly.  I think this is the real reason behind Kate's
decision not to tour.  She would rather not take the risk.

Before everybody lights up their blowtorches, being a control freak does
not imply that Kate is a bad person, or a inferior musician.  Kate is
unbelievably good at what she does, and I respect the hell out of her as
a musician, singer, songwriter, and producer, or else I wouldn't be
here.

Just one Love Hound's opinion -

John