Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Musicians

From: Richard Caley <rjc@lillith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 07:07:56 +0000
Subject: Re: Musicians
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <Pine.3.89.9603241954.A19667-0100000@post.cis.smu.edu>,
"\"John D. Walker\"" <jdwalker@post.cis.smu.edu> writes

>Let's face it, folks, Kate is a control freak.  Her whole creative
>process is very insulated and meticulous.  Live performances are
>controlled anarchy.  Things often misfire, and a lot of times you end up
>winging stuff on the fly.  I think this is the real reason behind Kate's
>decision not to tour.  She would rather not take the risk.

I don't think this analysis works. She could have gone down the Jean
Michel Jarre route and produce `live' performances which are so
orchistrated and controlled that, short of a totaly melt down of the
local power grid or something, there's no anarchy involved.

I think I'd rather say that KaTe is a musician, but not a performer. She
produces beautiful objects, wether those objects are recordings or
images, but She decided She wasn't getting anything from producing them
anew each night.

Poetry has been like this for centuries or millenia, some poets perform,
some just write. This has only been possible in music this century (give
or take) with recording (notation isn't designed for this job).

>Before everybody lights up their blowtorches,

Squuk, click, click, click, ... WHOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSHHHHHH!!!!!

--
rjc@lillith.demon.co.uk                         _O_

Turnpike evaluation. For Turnpike information, mailto:info@turnpike.com