Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Dischordance and .....

From: violet@slip.net
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:56:32 -0800
Subject: Re: Dischordance and .....
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Bryan wrote:
>[Violet]
>> When sheet music is written as such, you are expected to improvise.
>
>I understand, but I want to improvise *JUST* like KaTe, so the sound
>it *JUST* the same.

Oh, Bry!  You are such a sweet funny little baby!  You make me laugh! :)
I do know just what you mean.

>I often surprise people by whistling
>back a modem "tune" or other beeps, etc. They ask how can I imitate a
>sounds I *just* heard straight away. I dunno, I hear, I copy.

Yes, I do the same.  I always think of it as the aural version of
photographic memory.  Aural memory?  Hmmm.  But I can go somewhere and hear
a song for the first and only time, and I will sing it for the next week.
I freak friends out, because I will say, "Wasn't that one song cool?"  And
they'll say, "I don't remember how that went."  So I sing it for them.
It's unusual, if nothing else.

>I really feel you are fortunate Violet to have such friends as Neal and
>your boyfriend, I seem to live in a musical vacuum, apart from the media.

That's how my life was before I met them a few years ago.  I'm sure I'd
have gotten further if I'd had more people like them around.  There was
never anybody to bounce my ideas off of.  I mean, sure, when you create
something you believe in, you can do it just for yourself, that's true.
But after a while, a LONG while, when there's no one around to give you
input, even if it's in the form of criticism, well desire can melt away.
Sort of like if you were on a desert isle, after a while you'd forget you
had a voice because there would be no one to talk to.

Then Bryan quoted Len:
>> For all the good it has done us, for all the fame
>> and wealth it brought her, I think the biggest
>> tragedy in the life of Kate Bush was that she
>> was discovered young, became famous, and
>> retired from the stage.  A few more years in
>> the KT Bush Band would have done her good,

And then asked:
>But would that have altered her to be more mainstream?
>ie play what a majority of people like?

Not necessarily.  Look at people like Patty Smith and Talking Heads.  They
played clubs for a while before becoming famous.  And while many people
here may or may not like her, Tori Amos played clubs from the age of 13 on,
and even if people don't care for her music, I think they would at least
agree that she's not mainstream.

>But hasn't many other artists done the "JUST me and my instrument" style
>of tour already?

So?  Does this mean she shouldn't?  Don't answer, that was rhetorical and I
know your answer. :)

Violet
xoxox