Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Aw Violet...

From: "Xenu's Sister" <vickie@miso.wwa.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:20:34 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Aw Violet...
To: violet@slip.net
cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com
Web: http://miso.wwa.com/~vickie/

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996 violet@slip.net wrote:

> Vickie said:
> >The tour stuff is easliy debunked,
> >>lest anyone take any of it seriously, but the rumours of Kate's
> >>having an affair with Tom Waits and Peter Gabriel are something
> >>that can quickly be spread around by casual scanners of the
> >>newsgroup, who may not wait around to find out that they were
> >>only part of a very funny and interesting self-group troll.
>
> Then Stev0 wrote:
> >I heartily agree.  Especially since Kate's REAL Significant Other,
> >k.d. lang, often reads this newsgroup.
>
> Very funny, Mr. Stev0!  <whew!>  Here I was feeling quite horrid, having
> gotten rapped sharply across my wee little knuckles, and I decided I wasn't
> going to play in the sandbox anymore.  And then you made me laugh. :)

I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I almost wrote you to say "please
don't take it personally" but I spaced it off. I should have. Anyway,
consider it a "hey, maybe..." instead of a rap across the knuckes,
because that's how it was meant.

I guess I was thinking about the time I argued for an hour (in rl)
with a guy who was absolutely convinced that Kate had had a major
relationship with some punk rocker (can't remember who) and no amount
of talking would convince him. Thing is, he was telling other
people, and they were believing it too. I convinced them, but
not him. I always wondered how many people he told who probably
did believe him.

It just kinda bothers me. Rumors do have a way of getting out
of hand. "victimless" rumours (like the tour stuff) are harmless,
but when other people are involved, there's going to be a victim.

Affairs (and rumors of affairs) always involve other people
(husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, SOs) who can
and do get hurt.  I just didn't like the idea of gaffains
contributing to the possibility of such a thing happening.

No biggie, those are just my thoughts.  Violet, I think you're
very cool, so I wasn't picking on you on purose.

Vickie