Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Right

From: cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:46:01 -0600
Subject: RE: Right
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

[Mandy]

>Well a friend of mine was wondering this, and he took the
>opportunity to ask Paddy Bush this at the 1994 convention in London.
>Paddy kind of said "Ohhh, yeaahh, Brian Bath" and quickly changed
>the subject. Perhaps there was some disagreement between Kate and da
>family and Brian??

Only a guess, but after Kate gave up the KT Band idea and went
into studio work exclusively, some folks dropped along the
wayside.  For example, when she took control from Jon Kelly,
etc., she went her own way with what she was doing.   Jon Kelly
and Andrew Powell did her a lot of good, IMO.  Frankly,
I think she may have made a mistake, but it's her music.

That is normal for studio situations.  The tendancy is to focus
on the sound of the song and for that, studio players are often
better particularly when the meter is running.  She experiments.
That runs the costs through the roof and is the reason
a lot of us have our own studios.

As I recall, Kate tried very hard to use the KT Band on
some of the early cuts over the objections of her producer.
The results, from a purely technical standpoint, were not
very good.  So my impression is that where she fought
for her mates as long as that made sense, after a time,
the pressures to do world class work overcame her.
That was probably hard on a girl who wanted her
own troupe of gypsies.  I've fired a friend or two.  I
can say without reservation, it sucks.

This is normal.  I know of a couple of world class bands
that didn't play a lick on their first albums.   In Nashville,
they have what is known as the A Team.  An old friend of
mine, Larry Byrom (formerly in Steppenwolf during its
decline), is a member.  That is the creme de la creme
of studio players (Sorry charlie, only the best get to be starkist.)
When a business commits the millions it takes to
launch an act into the big time, they take no risks.

There were other rumors, but they are just that.

Speaking of rumors, I'm climbing on the box in the park:

Cut the crap about Kate's affairs.  If she has them, they
are her business.  If she doesn't, you are starting something
that is hard to stop once in motion.  In either case, you
are hurting someone you say you care about.
That act that has no class.  STOP IT!!

and you all wonder why she is reclusive.... sheesh!

The gig fantasies are fine.  Have fun.

len