Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate's Appeal

From: Emmy May Lombaerts <lombaeg@mail.interpac.be>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 1996 13:30:19 +0100
Subject: Kate's Appeal
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hiya everyone,

odysseus@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

>I fell in love with her music around about 1980.  I first heard Babooshka
>and feel it was a good single.  But when I returned to it monthes later,
>I became obssessed with her work.  I started backwards on her music and
>ended up listening to "The Kick Inside",  then went forwards until I
>reached her Dreaming, which took me forever to get used to and
>appreciated.  Then came "THL" which I adored for it's melodies, lyrics,
>mythology and imagery.  Then came "TSW"...not quite as appealing, then
>came "TRS" interesting, perhaps mainstream pop-although it seems to have
>lost that which I think is her strength and the Secret to the appeal of
>her music-

      The first time I heard Kate was with 1985's RUTH. It really struck a
chord with me and I decided to investigate HOL. I was amazed at the
intensity of that record, at the way Kate seems to use her voice as a unique
instrument, and of course at the production. TKI, the next KT-album I
decided to sample, I found equally beautiful. So much talent coming out of
the speakers, not to mention a maturity that seemed to stretch way beyond
Kate's tender years..  By this time, I was completely hooked.. I feel in
love with 'Lionheart'. 'NFE' and after a while also 'TD'. The latter took me
ages to get into, but eventually it became my favourite album and remains so
to date.

     And what do I feel to be the appeal of Kate? Her originality, her
fondness of Witchcraft, the supernatural and other out of this world things,
and the fact that she is very much in touch with her feelings and shows this
through her music. Her work is honest, original, and seems to be coming from
her inner self.. She also refuses to follow the grey masses and be
'trendy'.. Like Bowie will always be Bowie and Jagger will always be Jagger,
Kate will always be Kate..

>P.S.  Listen to Tori Amos's new album "Boys for Pele" and check out track
>number 7- "Caught a Lite Sneeze"-she sounds identical to an early Kate Bush!
>It's most haunting.  Although Tori doesn't have the "mystical" woman
>quality as our beloved Ms.Bush...

        Aargh, let's not start this Kate vs Tori thing up again, please...

                           Later folks :)

                                Emmy.

Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be        Krd@www.dma.be

http://www.dma.be/p/bewoner/Krd/

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
'In The Name Of The Father, The Sceptic And The Son, I Have One More Stupid
Question' ~ Alanis Morissette
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-