Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"Them heavy people" variations

From: ptapola@pippin.ntc.nokia.com (Pertti Tapola)
Date: 29 Feb 1996 06:42:43 GMT
Subject: "Them heavy people" variations
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

When I first heard "Them Heavy People" in The Kick Inside - a long
time ago, I loved it - almost at the first listening (let's call this
version 1).  I liked the melody and the words really struck me - she's
got very similar experiences as I have had.

Lately I have had the honour of learning to know two other versions:
- Live At The Hammersmith Odeon (versio 2), and
- The Single File (version 3).

It is nice to notice that she is able to get more and more out of
the same song without even changing a note or a word.

The choreography between versions 2 and 3 has advanced a lot into a
level where every phrase of the song seems to have a specific set
of gestures and expression.  Many of the gestures that are already
present in version 2 have added strength in version 3 (like the
part:

	 They build up my body, break me emotionally.
	 It's nearly killing me, but what a lovely feeling!

Notice how her hands move!)

There are also many new things that are just perfect, like in the beginning:

	 They arrived at an inconvenient time.

Two dancers appear.

	 I was hiding in a room in my mind.

She seems to be hiding behind her hands.

	 They made me look at myself. I saw it well.

The dancers use mirrors to make her look at herself.

	 I'd shut the people out of my life.

She pushes the dancers away.

Her face is extremely expressive in version 3 and I just envy
her ability of acting with so small but powerful expressions.

Even if I listen just the music or version 3, without any pictures,
I notice that her singing has improved a great deal - even making
me think this one of her very best songs.  She puts a great deal
more feeling into it.

However, in version 3 she seems to parody herself of version 2.
In version 2 when singing "Everyone of us has a heaven inside",
she first raises one finger and then two and three.

In version 3 she first raises two fingers, looks at them disbelieving
what her fingers are doing and then lowers one and regains confidence.

Being the perfectionist she is, I believe this is intentional,
and the only reason I can think of is to give a fan like me
something puzzling to discover. :-)

Any other ideas or knowledge on this?

Pertti Tapola        pertti.tapola@ntc.nokia.com (in Finland, by the way)

              Canst thou not say, express it yet though!