Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Thank You!!!!!/Questions

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 96 19:40:59 +0100
Subject: Re: Thank You!!!!!/Questions
To: evie22@aol.com (Evie22)
cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi!

You said:
> I was in a record shop today and, much to my delight, they had more Kate
> Bush than I ever thought they would -4 interview pic discs, about 6 12"
> singles, a couple of cd singles, This Woman's Work UK and Japanese boxed
> sets, The Red Shoes boxed set that includes red ballet shoes, the book
> 'Kate Bush A Visual Documentary' by Kevin Cann & Sean Mayes (which I did
> buy) and a KB Rock N Roll comic book which I also got because, even though
> it was wrapped so I couldn't look through it, it was only $2.50.

Wow! That sounds like Kate-shoppers paradise (and Kate-shoppers-purse hell)!

> They also
> had the import cd 'Wow' which I wanted to ask about. Can anyone tell me
> about the sound quality on this cd?

Well, in a word, don't get it. Instead, look for the Canadian video tape + CD
named "Kate Bush Live At Hammersmith Odeon", which is

a) an official release,
b) has better sound quality (at least a bit),
c) costs about the same, and
d) has a video tape in addition.

The contents is identical for both.

> I almost purchased it, but thought I'd
> check with the all-knowing before I shelled out my hard-earned $30. And
> still more questions... They had two versions of This Woman's Work. I've
> heard mention of the Japanese TWW being of better sound quality than other
> versions. Is this a true statement? If so, I'd be willing to spend the
> $20.00 more.

Well, that probably depends on your CD player and your ears ;-). I have both
boxes, and soundwise I cannot hear any difference *if* I use a decent CD
player. A couple of years ago I only had a slightly defunct discman, which
played the Japanese discs a lot better than the UK discs. But that is not
really important, since the problem here was the player, not the discs.

> If there isn't that much of a difference I'd be inclined to
> stick to the UK. Is there an American version? Also, if I did get the
> Japanese import, is there a book or reference material included, and if
> so, is it *ALL* in Japanese?

There's a Canadian version, though no US version. The Canadian version is
cheaper, but it doesn't come with as many booklet-stuff as the other two.

The Japanese box has information in it which is useful for people speaking
English and no Japanese as well, namely it has the lyrics for all the songs
on the 2 special CDs in English and Japanese, while the UK (or Canadian)
ones don't have these. The Japanese version also has much thicker booklets,
mostly due to the fact that there's a lot of Japanese writing in them.

And of course the pictures of The Kick Inside and Never for Ever are different.
TKI is really different, NfE is a closeup of the original one, with the
original one being present on page 3 of the booklet.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]