Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: My two cents worth...

From: lombaeg@donald.interpac.be (Emmy May Lombaerts)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:08:33 GMT
Subject: Re: My two cents worth...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hiya,

chansen@kiva.com ("Chris Hansen @ Work") wrote:

>While listening to the Cathy Demos (thanks again, Esther!) and then
>comparing them to the released tracks, it hit me that Kate's music is
>romantic.  Not that it is always sensual, erotic or such but that
>every track has a sense of romance - even the harsh, sad or rough
>ones.
>Tori's music, or at least the bits that I have heard, seems to not
>have that aspect to it.  Not that I don't like it - I find that I
>enjoy her music quite a bit.  Her music can be thought provoking and
>insightful, and I do enjoy her musical style.  However, I haven't
>heard any tracks so far which strike me as romantic in lyric, vocal
>or instrumentation.

        I agree. Kate's song's hold a lot of romance and 'light'
whereas most of Tori's seem dark, cynical.. . Even the saddest of
Kate's songs keep you wishing for a happy ending, and leave you
thinking that no matter how bad it seems, it'll all work out in time.

     In some of Tori's songs, on the other hand, there's this this
underlying 'dark' tone of cynicism and sarcasm. Not in the
in-your-face way Liz Phair for example lashes out her anger, but
displayed in different layers.. You're not always quite sure what Tori
is on about, but there's something strange in the air, and sooner or
later disaster will strike. 'Precious Things' and 'Professional Widow'
are good examples of Tori's venting-songs, and there's also something
not quite safe about 'Caught A Lite Sneeze'..

   Even in 'The Wedding List', Kate isn't quite as 'threatening' as
Tori is on an 'in-the-mood-to-give-the-world-a-good-thrashing'-day.. .

     Kate to me also sounds like a very English artist, whereas Tori
(especially on BfP with its 'Southern' feel) is very American.

>As a side note, I was recently listening to a Siouxsee and the
>Banshees tune titled... hmmm... I wrote it down, now where did I put
>it... Oh, here it is, "Kiss Them for Me" off of the album titled
>Superstition.  It hit me (ouch!) that this cut seems to be a logical
>extension of the Los Angeles based band Missing Persons.  Anyone else
>have this connection?

       Yeah, uncanny.. I wonder what Siouxsee is up to these days..

             later folks,

                    Emmy.

"Butterflies don't belong in nets" ~ Tori Amos
Emmy May Lombaerts
lombaeg@mail.interpac.be
http://www.dma.be/p/bewoner/Krd