Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My two cents worth...

From: "Chris Hansen @ Work" <chansen@kiva.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 16:33:34 -0700
Subject: My two cents worth...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <chris@genie>
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Greetings all...

I have an observation regarding my perceived differences between Kate
Bush and Tori Amos...

[Please disregard if I am totally off base - I have only heard a
couple of Tori's tracks (didn't know who she was until this list)
and have been a Kate fan for several years now.  Here goes...]

While listening to the Cathy Demos (thanks again, Esther!) and then
comparing them to the released tracks, it hit me that Kate's music is
romantic.  Not that it is always sensual, erotic or such but that
every track has a sense of romance - even the harsh, sad or rough
ones.

Tori's music, or at least the bits that I have heard, seems to not
have that aspect to it.  Not that I don't like it - I find that I
enjoy her music quite a bit.  Her music can be thought provoking and
insightful, and I do enjoy her musical style.  However, I haven't
heard any tracks so far which strike me as romantic in lyric, vocal
or instrumentation.

I can't define what is romantic to me or what is not - some things
just strike me that way.  Also, it may be that I've listened to
Kate's music for so long that I just identify her style as romantic
and then compare others to it.  I dunno.

Anyway, that is my two cents on the subject.  Remember, you get what
you pay for... <GRIN>

As a side note, I was recently listening to a Siouxsee and the
Banshees tune titled... hmmm... I wrote it down, now where did I put
it... Oh, here it is, "Kiss Them for Me" off of the album titled
Superstition.  It hit me (ouch!) that this cut seems to be a logical
extension of the Los Angeles based band Missing Persons.  Anyone else
have this connection?

Peace, Love and Walk Naked,

chris
the actually-posting-for-a-change one