Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-08 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: PHOENIX The Kate Bush Demos

From: nudeadguy@aol.com (NudeAdGuy)
Date: 11 Feb 1996 23:53:04 -0500
Subject: Re: PHOENIX The Kate Bush Demos
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

cosmicac@aol.com wrote:
> Here is a radical idea:  The LoveHound with the clearest copy of the
>sacred demos provides his or her sourcevinyl, tape or cd to one of those
>digital transfer services which makes cd's for consumers.  We could then
>all "place our orders" with theservice.  This should be open to
>LoveHounds only, so that no profit is made (save for the digital transfer
>service's normal profit for the transfer and pressing of cd's) and
>bootleggers make no money at KT's expense.

I'm gonna take a stab at answering this, since quite a few of you (but
certainly not all of you) who have copies of the Phoenix area broadcast of
the early demos got them either directly or indirectly from yours truly.

I stayed up one late night in 1987 or '88 (I don't remember anymore) and
taped Johnny D's broadcast, even though the station he worked at was over
100 miles away from my house and behind a mountain, which added some
obvious hiss to the transmission.

For years, I held on to my tape and played it for other local Kate fans.
But the computer craze hadn't kicked in yet, so most of you didn't know it
was out there, because there's no way you could have known, unless you'd
heard the broadcast too.

Anyway, a few years later, some of these songs started showing up on
booted, color 45 rpm vinyl. They were of slightly better quality than my
broadcast tape, which led me to believe that they were either A) taped off
the radio, but from a much closer location to the signal; or B) taped off
a copy of the master, much like the one played in Phoenix.

Anyway, to get to the point of all this, to make a digital transfer of a
hissy tape, you or I would be looking at a MINIMUM of $70 for a digital
tape transfer. Getting one CD made would be a lot more. And you're
probably not getting any advanced quality sound for doing so.

Most CD manufacturing companies will not make something like that anyway,
since they're afraid of copyright infringement.

So if you're out there listening to a copy of a copy of a copy of my tape,
rest assured, the master doesn't sound much better!

Tom Tuerff,
Phoenix, AZ