Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Fanning the Flames

From: nbuchwa1@ix.netcom.com (Norman Buchwald)
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 1996 23:39:43 GMT
Subject: Re: Fanning the Flames
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

cbullard@HiWAAY.net (Len Bullard) wrote:

>>>One of the many things I like about Tori Amos is the variety of styles at her
>>command.
>>
>>And didn't she act with perfect decorum on the Regis and Kathie Lee show this
>>morning....

>Yes.  She sang a completely forgettable song without
>range, tempo or pitch control in a dull dishwater alto.  The dress
>was ghastly and the hair was slept on.  Her posture was
>toad like and her ankles are fat like her face.  Does she ever smile?

"Putting The Damage On," forgettable?  Listen to it again.  Thanks to
Regis's obsession with his hand stitches, there wasn't time for Tori
but to sing only the chorus of the song once.  As for her posture,
where does that judgement come from?  I can't help but think Of MMe
Reisz in Kate Chopin's "Awakening," the brilliant pianist who always
played so well because of her awkward posture.  The song's not a happy
song so why would she smile?  And how would you like it if someone
dismissed Kate's performance just because of a "dent"?

>"Yes, they kicked me out of school because of a difference of opinion.."
>"Music must be FREE".. "I had to explore the inner woman completely..."

>How did the line in Amadeus go, "... the Patron Saint of Mediocrity".

I think Mozart would've dropped out of a school with such rigidity,
too.  :)

>Other than that, Tori's perfect.  Adorable.  Elf-like.  A waif with a whiff
>of whiny.

I've heard more whining about Tori's supposed "mediocrity" on this ng
recently.  :)

>A great success for those who think Kurt Cobain was a poet and his
>widow is a musician.

He contributed some important sounds as a musician that has now been
copied to death.  Courtney Love . . . Well you can be big when you're
a "Professional Widow," I guess.  :)

>Why DO people compare Tori to Kate?  Well, there is the
>hair-thing.....

Huh?  A different female artist with a similar voice is what appeals
her to Lovehounds, I guess.  And Kate has attributes that make
Toriphiles love her.  That and she's a strong artistic songwriter and
piano player.  She has a new album out so it's time for the big
discussions.  She's more distinguishly different from Kate than Happy
Rhodes (and we're too awed by Happy Rhode's vocal range to give her a
hard time.  :)

I don't really flame as play around.  But I don't see what's the
necessity of placing Kate and Tori on a hierarchal plane.

The Storm

We all have a dream . . . maybe?