Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Catagorizing Kate's Music

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 07:38:06 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Catagorizing Kate's Music
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

barnster <notme@ix.hell.com> on 29 Jan 1996 04:06:32 GMT wrote:
> As far as I can try, I think Kate's music can be divided into
> at least three catagories (I'm sure there are more):
>
> rock:...James And..., Love And Anger, And So Is Love, Violin etc
> piano:..This Woman's Work, Under The Ivy, And Dream Of Sheep, etc
> ???:....The Sensual World, Watching You Without Me, Song Of Solomon etc
>
> Most of my favorites are from the piano and "???" catagories.
> Her rock songs are less creative.

Interesting categorization, I mostly understand where you're coming
from, but where does such oddities like "Eat the Music" and
also "Rubberband Girl" goes, rock?
By "piano" I assume you mean the "ballads" to put a rock n roll term
on them, hopefully this is understood, ie soft and thoughtful ones.

Interestly, as recently discussed, although Kate wrote a song with just
one chord repeated throughout (ie RBG), Tori has managed to write a song
with one note repeated (ie Beauty Queen), again we see Tori copies Kate
again, but in a poorer fashion. Also note these are both the first tracks
of their respective latest albums. <joke mood off> - whoops a giveaway!

Another Similarily:
	Hello Earth - Hey Jupiter
This should be more obvious to those knowing Swedish (or other languages
that use "Hey" as a form of greeting).

Note that "Walk of Life" and "Walking on Sunshine" must be only close
copies, I guess "Walk this way" is too, which in turn is similar to
the classic "My way".

I wonder if the band "The The", ever got a copyright over the use of
part of their band title! I guess we should all pay them royalities
everytime we use that word then!

			Bryan Dongray

PS I'm obviously in a jovial mood today, or is that "jovian", well I
did mention "Hey Jupiter"?