Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: pmramey@ix.netcom.com (Paul M. Ramey )
Date: 29 Jan 1996 02:40:20 GMT
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In <4efkji$eqc@saba.info.ucla.edu> nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu (Robb
McCaffree) writes:

>ariel_b@pipeline.com (Ariel Brennan) wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 28, 1996 05:33:03 in article <Re: Wait for Kate>,
>
>> Nothing Tori does is so uniquely Kate that it couldn't have come
from
>> anyone but her. It's been done by many other people. Perhaps Tori
was
>> simply influenced by someone who was influenced by Kate. Or perhaps
their
>> minds just work in a similar fashion. I wouldn't be surprised either
way.

>	They were both somewhat influenced by Joni Mitchell -- who
>sounds very little like either. Somehow this equation doesn't work.

Tori's style is often strongly reminiscient of Laura Nyro circa "New
York Tendaberry" and "Christmas and the Beads of Sweat"...especially
the solo piano/voice tracks. To my ears, Tori owes as much or more of a
stylistic debt to Laura Nyro and Joni Mitchell than to Kate Bush.

It bugs me (in a small way) that performers like Tori are always
automatically compared to Kate Bush as if she invented the concept of
the female singer/songwriter/pianist. Kate was not the first woman in
pop/rock music to write, sing, and play the piano. Her approach to
doing so was/is incredibly innovative and original, but I can certainly
understand how Tori's music could have evolved without her ever hearing
"The Kick Inside".

>> >Tori not only denies familiarity with Kate's stuff, she has
>> >insulted her outright ("I want to tell her to stop
screaming...there's
>> >no mouse").

Hmmmm...I've often felt like saying that to Tori (especially on some of
the "Pele" tracks), but never to Kate :-)

Paul (PMRamey@ix.netcom.com)