Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: 28 Jan 1996 05:33:03 GMT
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

woj@remus.rutgers.edu (32 flavors and then some) wrote:

> Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu> sez:
>
> >THANKYOU! This is a point I've  made numerous times on rec.music.tori-
> >amos, and no one seems to 'get it.' I like Tori...I think she's very
> >talented and can see that she's had many influences. But why can't she
> >simply list Kate right along with Led Zeppelin and the rest?
>
> let me get this straight. you think KaTe was an influence on tori,
> therefore this must be true and tori has to own up to it? i'm not sure
> i follow this logic.
>
> woj

     No. I 'think' nothing of the sort. Based on the following:

	Kate				Tori

	appears in box on U.S.		appears in box on cover
	release of TKI			of LE

	holds sword above head		holds sword above head
	in sexy, revealing outfit	in sexy, revealing outfit
	for U.S. EP (1982)		for YKTR (extremely similar)

	lays in white dress, hair	lays in white dress, hair
	sprawled around her in		spawled around her in booklet
	start of video for 'Wow'	of UTP (extremely similar)

	the breathing on 'TD'		the breathing on 'Precious
					Things'

	The bridge on 'Watching		The bridge on 'Crucify
	You Without Me'			(extremely similar)

	The bridge on 'TWW'		The bridge on 'SATY'

	the early. very cultivated	The current image of...well,
	image of a sexy piano-playing	you know   :-)
	'high priestess' of rock

     And also Tori's vocals on 'Professional Widow,' 'Hey Jupiter,'
CALS (b'vocals),  and the juxtaposition of various musical styles and
times on much of BfP (especially CALS and 'Mr. Zebra'), I have no
doubt that she is at least familiar with Kate's material.

     Tori not only denies familiarity with Kate's stuff, she has
insulted her outright ("I want to tell her to stop screaming...there's
no mouse"). It's not that she 'has to own up to it,' but then again,
why wouldn't she? Less obvious influences appear constantly in Tori
interviews.

     I guess it's not a big deal, if you don't see all the above
connections. To me, some are so obvious, they border on copying (which
is a compliment if it's documented as such). But then again, I'm
hardly the first person -- or critic, even -- to notice this.

Robb