Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Wait for Kate

From: ariel_b@pipeline.com (Ariel Brennan)
Date: 28 Jan 1996 04:38:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Wait for Kate
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

On Jan 28, 1996 05:33:03 in article <Re: Wait for Kate>,
'nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu (Robb McCaffree)' wrote:

>> let me get this straight. you think KaTe was an influence on tori,
>> therefore this must be true and tori has to own up to it? i'm not sure
>> i follow this logic.
>
>No. I 'think' nothing of the sort. Based on the following:

<snip>

Which all comes down to, you think Kate was an influence on Tori and
therefore it must be true.

And for the record:

>	The bridge on 'Watching		The bridge on 'Crucify
>	You Without Me'			(extremely similar)
>
>	The bridge on 'TWW'		The bridge on 'SATY'

I see absolutely, positively, NO similarities there. Ah well.

>And also Tori's vocals on 'Professional Widow,' 'Hey Jupiter,'
>CALS (b'vocals),  and the juxtaposition of various musical styles and
>times on much of BfP (especially CALS and 'Mr. Zebra'), I have no
>doubt that she is at least familiar with Kate's material.

What you're saying doesn't make much sense - just because you're familiar
with both artists and see some similarity doesn't mean Tori was familiar
with Kate and was influenced by her. Perhaps they simply came up with
similar ideas - that happens with artists, especially when you're dealing
with two singer-songwriters with similar voices and the same specialties
(piano). (Which reminds me - you can't say she must've been influenced by
Kate because she sings like her - that's just the way her voice sounds)

For example, I dabble in art. I've drawn pictures and then seen older
pictures that were similar  - *without ever seeing the first picture*! With
certain artists, I've drawn things, then looked over books of their work,
and found *tons* of similar stuff. Now, to the outside eye, to someone who
saw the older picture and then mine, I might look like I was influenced by
or copying, the artist. But the reality is, I just came up with similar
ideas, without ANY influence whatsoever. Perhaps that's what happened with
Tori.

Nothing Tori does is so uniquely Kate that it couldn't have come from
anyone but her. It's been done by many other people. Perhaps Tori was
simply influenced by someone who was influenced by Kate. Or perhaps their
minds just work in a similar fashion. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

>Tori not only denies familiarity with Kate's stuff, she has
>insulted her outright ("I want to tell her to stop screaming...there's
>no mouse").

That makes no sense- she can't say she wishes Kate would stop screaming if
she's not familiar with Kate's work.

By the way, as I understand it, the full quote was something like "I like
Kate Bush's work, but sometimes I want to tell her to stop screaming -
there's no mouse."

>It's not that she 'has to own up to it,' but then again,
>why wouldn't she? Less obvious influences appear constantly in Tori
>interviews.

Maybe she doesn't see Kate as an influence. It could be that simple. I
don't understand the insistance that because you think there's an
influence, there simply must be, no other way.

And the thing is, it's not just you - I've seen this arguement from so many
Kate fans it drives me mad. I love Kate and Tori both, and I honestly see
so little similarity that the insistance on the part of many Kate fans than
Tori MUST have been heavily influenced by Kate and therefore she should
admit it. Why not just believe the woman when she says no, she doesn't
consider Kate to be a big influence? She's got no reason to lie, and she's
the only one who'd know for sure.

Ariel
--
"But now I've got to worry, 'cause boy, you still look pretty when you're
putting the damage on." - Tori Amos