Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Something like a bird

From: btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 00:04:38 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Something like a bird
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi Wieland (et al),

> The first time I read this: ??? :-) ??? :-))

Sorry, but you do seem to have responded on my thoughts coherently
to how I was trying to word them.

> An idea I've had, but which is also wrong IMHO, is to consider the piper to
> be a bird. A songbird 'wading through the pond'?

There probably is a bird that sings a tone, up a minor third, and back
to the tone, as KaTe sings. Any British ornothologists out there?

> Is there a story in this song, or is it only 'painting emotions'? If
> there's a story, what is it?
> When I hear this song: It's summer, twilight hour, very warm, Katie's
> sitting in her room with the window open, 'the lights down low' and
> Melancholy's around. - Well, that's my 'holo-picture'.

I agree with the twilight concept, although I've been thinking about
when does something keep coming forward but never moving?
Perhaps, it could mean "owning up" as in coming forward with information.
But remember "he won't answer me", so a bird song could fit this,
consider a stationary bird, singing its song, but only when it wants to.
As they do.

> Thank you IED for resolving the line
> "Rest and sing lover..." !!!
> Why can I hear it so easy now?

I still cannot! But I do have the CD Home Demos (ie not the best quality).
Trouble is I cannot hear where the 'v' would be?
It still sounds to me like:
	rest in siiiiii ying-iii-ee-oo-oo-oooo	oo-oh-oo
	D    E  E       F#   F#  G  F# E  C#-D	B  D  B
although the ii ee and oo are all sort of similar (!).
I know I typed "in" and not "and", since that what it sounds like.
I just heard that little section about 30 times to get it just right.

> How she sings the "know"! Like "now". Sounds (to me) almost agressive,
> annoyed that 'he won't answer me'. Is this correct? (native speakers?)

The word "know" sounds like the "sort of" essex accent, ie no-wer
lots of dipthongs - "hmmm reelee" (Philadephila), OK Kates not quite
that strong, but North Kent is closish to an Essex accent.

JForward@sitgbsd1.telecom.com.au wrote:
>  The Garden lists the lyrics as "I've called him by every name I
>  know, By every name I know" but to me it sounds more like "I've
>  called him every name I know, By every name I know".

Sorry, I can definately hear the first "by" (and the second one too).
I too can hear the frustration (not quite) or more emotional feeling
in the way it is sung, also emphasised by the repeating of the phrase.

Still one of my top 20! Pity this one was not "produced".

			Bryan Dongray