Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Something like a bird

From: Wieland Willker <willker@chemie.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 10:33:36 -0100
Subject: Something like a bird
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Bryan wrote:
> On another song, "Something Like a Song/In My Garden" I wonder if the
> lines:
> A piper
> and later:
> Rest and sing
> just before the "oohoo"s, *may* have originally ment to be instrumental
> comments, ie to say a piper to play the first oohoos, then later to rest
> for a moment then sing the oohoo line. The 3rd time by a piper again.
> Since she had apparently 200 songs, the comments may have been seen as
> words to sing, so for the tape recorder demo she just sang what she
> wrote. It's something I could imagine happening.

The first time I read this: ??? :-) ??? :-))
but now I hope, I understand it. This can be deduced, when seeing the
lyrics only. And then it's a good idea.
But when listening to the song actually (as I did for 10.000 times), and
hear the loooooohoo...oong 'piper' floating directly into the hahooohooo,
it's clear, that it belongs to the song itself.

An idea I've had, but which is also wrong IMHO, is to consider the piper to
be a bird. A songbird 'wading through the pond'?

Is there a story in this song, or is it only 'painting emotions'? If
there's a story, what is it?
When I hear this song: It's summer, twilight hour, very warm, Katie's
sitting in her room with the window open, 'the lights down low' and
Melancholy's around. - Well, that's my 'holo-picture'.

Thank you IED for resolving the line
"Rest and sing lover..." !!!
Why can I hear it so easy now?

How she sings the "know"! Like "now". Sounds (to me) almost agressive,
annoyed that 'he won't answer me'. Is this correct? (native speakers?)

A few lines only, but what a complete thing.
Best wishes
    Wieland