Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: of Koffee and Tapes

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 22:40:35 +0100
Subject: Re: of Koffee and Tapes
To: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
cc: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi Mikael et al!

> Now, this sounds interesting indeed!

Indeed...

> If anyone really got those vinyls in good conditiond, Uli will not have
> to buy them. Just lend them to him for a while, long enough for him to
> make a CD-master.

Neat idea ;-)

> Uli, I'd like to buy one CD from you in case you REALLY MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!
> And if the sound quality really gets better.

I know, I know, I know. Problem is:

- The CD burner is in the office. A couple (i.e. very few) CDs shouldn't
  be a too big problem
- this can't be a 'CD-tree' thing. Every CD recoded on the burner needs
  about 20 minutes to burn (4-speed thingy), and for as long as I'm going
  to do CDs, I'll need those 740 MB of storage (not only 650, since CD Audio
  tracks don't use as much error correction and use 2350+ bytes instead of 2048
  per sector, and the 650 MB is for 2048-bps CD-ROMs.
- This way I'd be able to produce 1-3 CDs per day. And I couldn't keep this
  huge amount of data on our computers for too long. This sets a limit on
  the amount of CDs *I* can produce.

Even bigger problem:

If there are about 1-5 CDs going out of my hands, I wouldn't feel too bad
as a bootlegger. If I'd offer this to love-hounds, this would *easily* get
over 100 copies. Especially since empty CDs are only about $8 nowadays.
(Unfortunately postage Germany->world is more expensive than that). And
that's definitely beyond my abilities. By the way, 100*8 = $800, which
is close to the cost of a glass master (~$1000) from which you can press
regular CDs incl. booklet and jewel case for about $2 (100-5000 copies,
more's going to be even cheaper). And this would definitely be real
bootlegging, which I don't want to do. I'd buy such a bootleg of course ;-).

I hope you don't take this personally, it's just that I wouldn't know whom
to chose.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]