Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1995-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hearing the differential

From: ptapola@pippin.ntc.nokia.com (Pertti Tapola)
Date: 27 Nov 1995 07:26:28 GMT
Subject: Re: Hearing the differential
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds@gryphon.com

In article <9511262342.AA10327@rigel.cray.com>, btd@carina.cray.com (Bryan Dongray) writes:

|> Actually with any high tech tape, nor the worries about poking something
|> alien into your favourite Hi-Fi and ruining it, and also allowing everyone
|> to hear the differential sound (ie the difference between the Left and
|> the Right speaker, which hides the "center sound" - ie often Kate), this
|> is all you have to do:
|> 	L red	--x---------- to left speaker
|> 	L black	--x	----- to left speaker
|> 			|
|> 	R black	--x	----- to right speaker
|> 	R red	--x---------- to right speaker

And note also that if you do this in addition to your normal speakers -
i.e. have two small speakers on the other end of the room than the
main speakers - you get a "poor man's Dolby surround" from any
(even unencoded) stereo signal!

Note that the effect is not poor in any way, but rather it makes you think
twice before investing any money in a Dolby surround system.  The music
occupies your whole room instead of staying in one wall only.

NOTE: I will take no responsibility if you ruin your HiFi system.
So far I haven't ruined mine, however, and I've used this gimmick
for two different amplifiers for over twenty years in total.

Pertti Tapola        pertti.tapola@ntc.nokia.com (in Finland, by the way)

              Canst thou not say, express it yet though!